If you have seen my other reviews, you can probably tell that I have been reading lots of Thriller and Mystery novels lately. In fact, I think Thriller and Mystery is my most read genre of books in the month of November.
(no complaints here!)
This book was kindly sent to my by Harper360 in exchange for an honest book review. As always, my reviews are composed of my own honest opinions and are therefore subjective. If a book seems to be something you think you might like, I would highly encourage you to check the book out. You never know when an unexpected book could be your new favourite.
Paperback, 320 pages
Published October 19th 2021 by Inkyard Press
From the thrilling voice of Sacha Wunsch comes a heart-stopping psychological mystery in a world where memories can be shared—and one girl can’t trust any of them.
Enhanced Memory changed everything. By sharing someone else’s memory, you can experience anything and everything with no risk at all: learn any skill instantly, travel the world from home, and safeguard all your most treasured secrets forever. Nova’s parents invented this technology, and it’s slowly taking over their lives. Nova doesn’t mind—mostly. She knows Enhanced Memory is a gift.
But Kade says Nova doesn’t know the costs of this technology that’s taken the world by storm. Kade runs a secret vlog cataloging real experiences, is always on the move, and is strangely afraid of Nova—even though she feels more comfortable with him than she ever has with anyone. Suddenly there are things Nova can’t stop noticing: the way her parents don’t meet her eyes anymore, the questions no one wants her to ask, and the relentless feeling that there’s something she’s forgotten…
‘Lies My Memories Told Me’ follows Nova, the daughter of the creators of Enhanced Memory. Enhanced Memories allow people to share all kinds of memories, and in turn they can learn a new skill, travel the world, learn a new language, experience daring adventures and more. This incredibly advanced innovation has changed the way people live their lives, and for a while, it seemed to change for the better– or so it seemed.
When Nova meets Kade, an online vlogger (video blogger) who documents his real experiences, she becomes quite taken aback by his lack of enthusiasm around Enhanced Memories. When strange things start happening, Nova can’t help noticing how distant her parents are being. Almost as if they were hiding something– something big.
The idea of “Enhanced Memories” is really cool. I love when authors are able to create new concepts and incorporate it into their books. The world created in this book is almost a utopia because of this seemingly great innovation, and the author clearly illustrates this in the beginning. As the story progresses and we are introduced to the conflict, there’s an air of mystery and suspense that is incorporated into the plot. That aspect was really fun to read, I thought the author was able to keep me intrigued throughout most of the book. However, I did feel like the mystery was dragged for longer than necessary and some of the revelations were a bit predictable.
The first half of the book was a bit repetitive and the story barely progressed. However, the story does get better towards the end. The second half was really where the plot moved more swiftly. I was glued to my seat and eagerly anticipating what might happen page after page.
Overall, I thought this was a pretty solid debut novel, and I will be anticipating the author’s future releases.
The plot started off really well in the beginning but that momentum didn’t last till the end. The ending felt a bit unsatisfying– but that could be because I haven’t processed all my thoughts of this book just yet.
Thank you Harper360YA for providing me with this copy of ‘Lies My Memory Told Me’ by Sacha Wunsch in exchange for an honest review.
Do you read Young Adult Thrillers/Mysteries? Any recommendations?
Let me know in the comments below!
Find me on social media and let’s talk books! :
Read More! :
- The One With The Cutest Blossoming Romance: ‘Heartstopper’ by Alice Oseman | Book ReviewI have a confession to make: I read this book at the end of November so technically this isn’t supposed to be on my December TBR. However, I did re-read this book again and by that time it was the 1st of December — so technically, I still did read this in December. As you… Continue reading The One With The Cutest Blossoming Romance: ‘Heartstopper’ by Alice Oseman | Book Review
- Day 12: All I Want for Christmas is… | 12 Days of Christmas Book TagDay 12 of the 12 Days of Christmas Book Tag encourages you to share 12 books that are currently on your book Wishlist. Make sure to check out the other prompts from the previous days here: 12 Days of Christmas Book Tag My blog post for the 12th day prompt is a day late simply because I have… Continue reading Day 12: All I Want for Christmas is… | 12 Days of Christmas Book Tag
- Day 11: “Son of a NUT- Cracker!” | 12 Days of Christmas Book TagDay 11 of the 12 Days of Christmas Book Tag invites you to recommend some of your favourite Christmas Movies! Make sure to check out the other prompts from the previous days here: 12 Days of Christmas Book Tag Yesterday the prompts asked you to recommend some of your favourite books, but this time I thought it would… Continue reading Day 11: “Son of a NUT- Cracker!” | 12 Days of Christmas Book Tag
- Day 10: Santa Tell Me | 12 Days of Christmas Book TagDay 10 of the 12 Days of Christmas Book Tag invites you to recommend some books! Any genre, any theme, any book! Make sure to check out the other prompts from the previous days here: 12 Days of Christmas Book Tag Whether it’s one of your all-time favourite books that you want to talk about and recommend again,… Continue reading Day 10: Santa Tell Me | 12 Days of Christmas Book Tag
- Day 9: The First Gift of Christmas | 12 Days of Christmas Book TagDay 9 of the 12 Days of Christmas Book Tag invites you to list some of the bookish items that you would like to receive for Christmas. Make sure to check out the other prompts from the previous days here: 12 Days of Christmas Book Tag Whether it is a tote bag inspired of your favourite book,… Continue reading Day 9: The First Gift of Christmas | 12 Days of Christmas Book Tag